Skin Home > Xolegel Overdose
It is possible to overdose on Xolegel (ketoconazole gel), although applying too much of the gel on the skin is unlikely to cause serious problems. However, taking this medicine by mouth may lead to liver damage, hormonal imbalances, or other dangerous complications. Treatment for this type of overdose would likely involve supportive care to treat any resulting symptoms.
Can You Use Too Much Xolegel?Xolegel® (ketoconazole gel) is a prescription skin medication used to treat seborrhea. It belongs to a group of medications known as antifungals. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Xolegel.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the dosage and how it was taken (by mouth or applied on the skin).
Effects of an OverdoseIt is unclear what to expect from an overdose of this medication. Xolegel comes in the form of a gel that is normally applied to the skin, and it is absorbed through the skin in such low amounts that it is possible that an overdose might not cause any problems.
However, taking it by mouth might cause problems. High doses of ketoconazole by mouth can cause liver damage and hormonal imbalances. It is also possible that the inactive ingredients in the gel could cause problems, particularly if taken by mouth. An entire, full tube of Xolegel contains 900 mg of ketoconazole (the typical dosage of ketoconazole taken by mouth in tablet form is 200 mg to 400 mg once daily).