Skin Home > Who Gets Staph Infections and How Does Infection Occur?
Who Is at Risk for Staph Infections?Many people who develop a Staphylococcus infection do not have any risk factors. However, there appear to be several factors that can increase a person's chances for developing an infection. Some include:
- Trauma to the skin (such as cuts, sores, shaving, insect bites, or "turf burns")
- Recent surgery
- Shaving body hair
- Living in crowded or unsanitary places, such as prisons, military barracks, or homeless shelters
- People who use IV drugs or inject drugs into the muscle ("skin popping")
- A recent long hospital stay
- Recent antibiotic use
- A weakened immune system from a medical condition, such as those with HIV, AIDS, or diabetes.