Verdeso is a type of steroid prescribed to treat atopic dermatitis in adults and children as young as three months old. It works by reducing inflammation and suppressing an overactive immune system. This medicine comes as a foam and is usually applied to the affected areas of the skin twice daily. Potential side effects may include upper respiratory infections and burning at the application site.
What Is Verdeso?Verdeso® (desonide foam) is a prescription skin medication. It is approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis in people age three months and older. It belongs to a group of drugs known as topical steroids.
This alcohol-free foam is designed to be moisturizing and nonstinging without leaving a sticky residue.
Who Makes This Medicine?Brand-name Verdeso is made by Stiefel Laboratories, Inc.
How Does Verdeso Work?Verdeso belongs to a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Verdeso works for atopic dermatitis by decreasing inflammation or suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Verdeso include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice a day.
- Apply Verdeso sparingly and gently rub it into the skin. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- Do not cover the medication with a dressing or bandage, unless your healthcare provider specifically recommends that you do so.
- Make sure to turn the canister upside down when dispensing the foam. Keeping it upright will result in loss of the propellant, perhaps causing the foam to "run out" more quickly.
- If applying Verdeso to your face, first dispense the foam into your hands, then apply and rub it into the skin. For other areas of the body, you may dispense the foam directly onto the affected area if desired.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.