Promethazine 25 mg
Promethazine hydrochloride (Phenergan®) is a prescription medicine licensed to treat several different conditions. It comes in various forms and strengths, including:
- Promethazine 12.5 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 25 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 50 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 6.25 mg per 5 mL syrup
- Promethazine 25 mg per mL injection vials and ampuls (1 mL)
- Promethazine 50 mg per mL injection vials and ampuls (1 mL).
The standard recommended dosage for treating allergies is 25 mg of promethazine before bedtime. For treating allergic reactions (such as reactions to blood transfusions), guidelines also call for 25 mg.
A typical dose for treating nausea and vomiting is promethazine 12.5 to 25 mg, taken every four to six hours as needed.
For treating motion sickness, the recommended amount is 25 mg twice daily. On the first day of travel, the first dose should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before travel, with the second one taken 8 to 12 hours later (if necessary).
On subsequent days of travel, the first dose should be taken after getting up in the morning, and the second one should be taken before the evening meal.
(Click Promethazine Dosage for more detailed dosing guidelines, to find out recommendations for children, and for tips on using the various forms of this medication.)