Is Mangosteen Safe?
Many people may wonder how safe mangosteen is. Before using mangosteen medicinally, it is important to understand that this tropical fruit is considered a food or dietary supplement, which means that it is not as closely regulated as prescription or non-prescription drugs. Therefore, mangosteen can be sold without any proof that it is safe or effective. Also, just because mangosteen is a "natural" product, it does not mean that it is safe for everyone.
Mangosteen is a tropical fruit prized for its intense taste. It is eaten as a fruit, consumed as a juice, or taken as a dietary supplement. Occasional consumption of mangosteen is probably safe for most people. However, you should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking mangosteen (especially mangosteen supplements) if you:
- Have any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives
- Have any chronic or severe medical condition
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
You should also make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Some warnings and precautions to be aware of concerning the safety of mangosteen include the following:
- There has been one report of severe lactic acidosis (a very dangerous condition) possibly related to mangosteen juice (see Mangosteen Side Effects for more information).
- As dietary supplements or food products, mangosteen is not as closely regulated as prescription (or non-prescription) drugs. They can be marketed without any proof that they are either safe or effective. Do not assume that just because a product is sold or advertised in the United States that it is safe or effective. Make sure to look for mangosteen products from a reputable manufacturer. Your pharmacist is a good resource for information about which manufacturers are the most reputable.
- If you have a chronic or severe medical condition, it is always a good idea to check with your healthcare provider before taking any medication or supplement, including mangosteen.
- It is not known if mangosteen is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women (see Mangosteen and Pregnancy and Mangosteen and Breastfeeding).