Skin Home > Imiquimod
People who have certain skin conditions may benefit from treatment with imiquimod. Depending on the particular product used, this medication can help treat actinic keratosis, external or perianal warts, and certain types of skin cancer. This prescription medicine comes in the form of a cream that is applied directly on the affected areas. Redness, swelling or scabbing of the skin are possible side effects.
What Is Imiquimod?Imiquimod (Aldara®, Zyclara®) is a prescription medication approved to treat the following conditions:
- Actinic keratosis (dry, scaly, precancerous patches on the skin) of the face and/or scalp
- External genital warts and perianal warts
- Superficial basal cell carcinoma (a type of skin cancer).
Are There Side Effects?Just like any medication, imiquimod may cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medicine will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well.
- Flaky and/or dry skin
- Scabbing or crusting of the skin
- Ulceration or erosion (open sores) of the skin
- Oozing of the skin.