Skin Home > Elidel Dosage
The standard dosing guidelines for Elidel include applying a small amount of the cream on the affected areas of the skin twice daily. Do not cover the medicine with a bandage and do not get the area wet until the medicine has absorbed into the skin. If your symptoms have not improved within six weeks after starting treatment, contact your healthcare provider.
An Introduction to Dosing With ElidelThere is only one standard dose of Elidel® (pimecrolimus), regardless of your age. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Elidel Dosage for Atopic DermatitisThe recommended dose of Elidel for treating symptoms of atopic dermatitis (eczema) is usually a thin layer of cream applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice daily. The cream should only be applied to areas of the skin that have eczema. The medication is usually stopped when the eczema symptoms (such as redness, itching, and rash) go away.
Contact your healthcare provider if your symptoms have not resolved within six weeks or if they get worse after you start using Elidel. You might have a condition other than eczema.
General Information on Using ElidelSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Elidel include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a cream that is applied to the affected area of the skin twice a day.
- Apply only a thin layer to dry skin, and only on areas of your skin that have eczema.
- Make sure to wash your hands before applying an Elidel dose and again afterward, unless you are treating your hands.
- Do not cover the affected area of skin with bandages or other dressings. Doing so may cause you to absorb too much medicine, increasing your risk for side effects. However, you can cover the area with clothing.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim immediately after applying this medicine, as this may wash it off the skin before it has a chance to work. Allow the cream to absorb into your skin first.
- Avoid tanning beds and prolonged sun exposure while using Elidel. If you do go out in the sun, cover the affected area with loose-fitting clothing.
- If you are using a moisturizer with this medicine, apply the moisturizer after applying Elidel, and after it has absorbed into your skin. Your healthcare provider can help you choose the best moisturizer for your skin type.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not use Elidel for extended periods or more often than directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Elidel dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.