Skin Home > Botulinum Toxin Type A
Botulinum toxin type A is an injectable medicine used to treat a variety of conditions, from wrinkles and frown lines to severe underarm sweating to crossed eyes. The drug is actually a toxin produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria, and it works by decreasing the nerve signals that are sent to muscles. Side effects include droopy eyelids, difficulty swallowing, and neck pain.
What Is Botulinum Toxin Type A?
- Temporarily improve the appearance of wrinkles between the eyebrows (frown lines)
- Relieve neck pain and abnormal head position associated with cervical dystonia (a certain kind of muscle spasm of the head and neck)
- Treat severe underarm sweating that has not responded to other treatments
- Treat eyelid twitching or spasms (known medically as blepharospasm)
- Treat misaligned eyes, such as crossed eyes (known medically as strabismus).