The effects of an overdose with hydroxyzine will vary, depending on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Some of the symptoms that may occur if too much hydroxyzine is taken include hallucinations, seizures, or cardiac arrest. Treatment options can include administering certain medications and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Hydroxyzine?Hydroxyzine (Atarax®, Vistaril®) is a prescription antihistamine. As with most medications, it may be possible to take too much hydroxyzine. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the hydroxyzine dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an Overdose With HydroxyzineThe effects of a hydroxyzine overdose may include:
- Dilated pupils
- Flushed face
- Dry mouth
- Excitation (more common in children)
- Drowsiness (more common in adults)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rapid heart rate
- High blood pressure
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Cardiac arrest
- Kidney failure
- Intestinal blockage
- Muscle pain and damage
- Loss of life.
Treatment for a Hydroxyzine OverdoseThe treatment for an overdose with hydroxyzine will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal to help absorb the medication in the digestive tract. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Careful monitoring of the vital signs
- Medications to control blood pressure, heart rate, heart rhythm, and seizures
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a hydroxyzine overdose.