Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride (HCL) Information
Hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax®, Vistaril®) is an antihistamine medication available only with a prescription. It comes in many different forms and is used for several different purposes, such as treating itching and improving the effectiveness of opioid pain relievers.
Although most people do not have any problems while taking hydroxyzine hydrochloride (HCl), information on potential safety concerns and possible side effects should be fully reviewed before using this medication.
For instance, hydroxyzine hydrochloride is not suitable for everyone. You may not be able to safely use it if you have certain medical conditions, such as glaucoma, heart disease, or Alzheimer's disease. You also may not be able to take this medication if you are currently taking certain drugs, including some vitamins, herbal supplements and non-prescription medications.
Hydroxyzine hydrochloride is available in the following strengths and forms:
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 10 mg tablets
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 25 mg tablets
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 50 mg tablets
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 10 mg per 5 mL syrup
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 25 mg per mL intramuscular injection solution
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride 50 mg per mL intramuscular injection solution.
For more information on hydroxyzine hydrochloride (HCl), talk to your pharmacist or healthcare provider.
(Click Hydroxyzine for more information on this medicine, including how it works, potential side effects, and tips on when and how to effectively use it.)