What to Expect With Denileukin Diftitox
Common Side EffectsDenileukin diftitox has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people given the drug were carefully documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people who received an injection that did not contain any active ingredients (a placebo). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common denileukin diftitox side effects included:
- Fever -- in up to 63.6 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 60 percent
- Chills or shivering -- up to 47.3 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 46.7 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 34.5 percent
- Headache -- up to 28.9 percent
- Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, ankles, or feet -- up to 25.5 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 22.2 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 20 percent
- Rash -- up to 20 percent
- Muscle aches -- up to 20 percent
- Cough -- up to 20 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 10.9 percent to 18.2 percent of people, included:
- Back pain
- Weakness or lack of energy
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Joint pain
- General pain
- Chest pain
- Abnormal taste in the mouth
- Shortness of breath.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using denileukin diftitox or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.