What Is Cutivate Lotion?
(fluticasone propionate lotion
) is a prescription skin medication. It is approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis
in people age 1 and older. This product belongs to a group of medications known as topical steroids. As with other steroids, it is intended only for short-term use.
Who Makes This Medicine?
Brand-name Cutivate Lotion is made by PharmaDerm.
How Does Cutivate Lotion Work?
Cutivate Lotion is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Cutivate Lotion works by decreasing inflammation and suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use It
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cutivate Lotion include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin once a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly and gently rub it in. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- Do not cover the medication with a dressing or bandage, as this increases the risk for side effects.
- Do not apply Cutivate Lotion on the diaper area of young children.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.