Available by prescription only, Cutivate Lotion is a steroid used to treat mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis. It is approved for use in adults and children as young as 1 year old, and works by reducing inflammation and suppressing an overactive immune system. The lotion is applied to the affected areas of the skin once daily. Side effects may include dry skin and stinging.
What Is Cutivate Lotion?Cutivate Lotion® (fluticasone propionate lotion) is a prescription skin medication. It is approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis in people age 1 and older. This product belongs to a group of medications known as topical steroids. As with other steroids, it is intended only for short-term use.
How Does Cutivate Lotion Work?Cutivate Lotion is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Cutivate Lotion works by decreasing inflammation and suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cutivate Lotion include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin once a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly and gently rub it in. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- Do not cover the medication with a dressing or bandage, as this increases the risk for side effects.
- Do not apply Cutivate Lotion on the diaper area of young children.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.