Serious and Long-Term Complications With Cutivate Lotion
Side Effects to ReportSome side effects of steroids, including Cutivate Lotion, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or diabetes
- Ruptured tendons
- Psychotic reactions, such as hallucinations or extreme aggression
- Severe fluid retention
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
In general, these serious reactions are extremely unlikely to occur when Cutivate Lotion is used as directed for a short time (four weeks or less). Applying too much, over too large an area, and for extended periods may increase the risk for serious steroid side effects.
Long-Term Cutivate Lotion Side EffectsUsing steroids like Cutivate Lotion over long periods can cause a different set of side effects. These reactions are most likely to be seen in people who use this medicine over a large area of the body for a long time. Some of the problems seen with long-term use might include:
- Weight gain
- Bulging eyes
- Fluid retention
- Loss of muscle
- Fat deposits on the face and back, causing a round face and a fatty hump on the back of the neck
- Stunted growth (in children).
Keep in mind that these effects are more common with systemic steroids, which are taken by mouth or injection, and are probably rare with Cutivate Lotion when used as directed and for a short time. It is not recommended to use Cutivate Lotion longer than four weeks at a time.