Important Instructions During Clobetasol Propionate Treatment
Dosing Instructions for Clobetasol Propionate FoamThe standard dose for regular clobetasol propionate foam (Olux) is no more than 1½ capfuls (about the size of a golf ball), applied twice a day. For the alcohol-free emollient formulation (Olux-E), the dosage is "about a capful" applied twice a day.
Do not use more than 21 capfuls in a week, and do not use this product for more than two weeks in a row. Olux is a highly potent steroid. Usually, you should stop using it as soon as the condition improves (up to two weeks).
Dosing for Other Clobetasol Propionate ProductsThe standard dose for other clobetasol propionate products is a thin layer applied twice daily. The gel, cream, emollient cream, and ointment products are typically used on the body, while the topical solution is normally used on the scalp. None of the products should be applied to the face, groin, or underarms.
For any use, do not apply more than 50 mL per week for the topical solution or 50 grams per week for the other products.
General Information on Using Clobetasol PropionateSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with clobetasol propionate include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) once or twice a day.
- Apply your clobetasol propionate dosage sparingly. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- For most conditions, clobetasol propionate should be used for no more than two weeks at a time. However, for stubborn cases of plaque psoriasis, clobetasol propionate emollient cream can be used for an additional two weeks (four weeks total); however, it should be used sparingly and only applied to the areas that have not adequately improved. Using too much (or using it too long) increases the risk for serious side effects (see Clobetasol Propionate Side Effects).
- If your healthcare provider recommends using clobetasol propionate on the diaper area of your child, do not use plastic pants or tight-fitting diapers, as this may increase the risk for side effects.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with clobetasol propionate, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.