Clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide Side Effects
Peeling skin, itching, and redness are some of the commonly reported side effects of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide. However, most people are able to use this acne treatment without problems, and if any side effects occur, they are generally easy to treat. If you develop any potentially serious problems, such as skin irritation that gets worse with repeated use, contact your healthcare provider.
Just like any medicine, clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide (Acanya®, BenzaClin®, Duac®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, many people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Side EffectsSome clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide side effects, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Swelling or inflammation of the face, eyes, eyelids, or nose
- Skin redness, irritation, and peeling or burning that is severe, does not go away, or worsens with repeated use
- Extreme sensitivity to the sun or severe sunburn
- Watery, bloody, or severe diarrhea
- A fungal infection of the skin or nails
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.