Precautions and Warnings With Clemastine
There are many precautions and warnings with clemastine to be aware of before starting treatment, including information on who should not use this drug. You should not take clemastine if you are breastfeeding or taking an MAOI. Since this medication can worsen certain medical conditions, make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all existing conditions you have before starting clemastine.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking clemastine fumarate (Tavist® Allergy, Dayhist® Allergy) if you have:
- Stomach ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Alzheimer's disease
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.