The specific effects of an overdose with clemastine can vary from person to person. In general, they may include symptoms such as dilated pupils, dry mouth, and nausea or vomiting. Treatment for an overdose may involve taking certain medications, "pumping the stomach," or supportive care (which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
Clemastine fumarate (Tavist® Allergy, Dayhist® Allergy) is an antihistamine medication that is available both over the counter and with a prescription. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much clemastine. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the clemastine dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have taken a clemastine overdose.
A clemastine overdose may cause symptoms such as:
- A rapid heart rate
- High blood pressure
- High or low body temperature
- Dry mouth
- Dilated pupils
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of life.
If the clemastine overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." It is usually not recommended to induce vomiting for an overdose of this medication. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a clemastine overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to increase blood pressure, control an irregular heart rhythm, or control seizures
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on clemastine.