Betamethasone Valerate Foam Dosage
When using betamethasone valerate foam, apply a small dosage to the affected area of the scalp twice a day. Unlike many other steroid medications, it can be used for longer than two weeks; however, extended use increases your risk of side effects. If your condition has not improved after two weeks, another form of treatment may be more appropriate.
There is only one standard dosage of betamethasone valerate foam (Luxiq®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard dosage for betamethasone valerate foam is a small amount applied twice a day. Because betamethasone valerate foam is a medium-potency steroid, there are no restrictions on the length of time it can be used, unlike high-potency steroids, which are usually used for two weeks or less. However, the more that is applied and the longer it is used, the more likely that serious side effects are to occur (see Betamethasone Valerate Foam Side Effects for more information).
If you see no improvement within two weeks, it is usually recommended that you stop this medication.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with betamethasone valerate foam include the following:
- This medication is usually used twice a day.
- Turn the canister upside down and dispense into the cap, onto a saucer (or other cool surface), or directly to the affected areas of the scalp. Dispensing betamethasone valerate foam into a hand is not recommended, unless you are treating your hands, since it begins to melt immediately upon contact with warm skin.
- Gently massage the foam into the affected area, then wash your hands right away. Allow the scalp to dry naturally.
- Do not wash or rinse the scalp immediately after applying a betamethasone valerate foam dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.