Benzyl Alcohol Lotion Dosage
If you have head lice, a healthcare provider may prescribe benzyl alcohol lotion. The dosage will depend on the length of your hair -- people with longer hair will need to use more of the medicine than those with shorter hair. This lotion should be applied to the hair and scalp and left on for 10 minutes. Two applications are necessary, with seven days between applications.
An Introduction to Your Dose of Benzyl Alcohol LotionThe dosage of benzyl alcohol lotion (Ulesfia®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the length of your hair. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Benzyl Alcohol Lotion Dosing for Head LiceRegardless of hair length or the severity of the head lice, all individuals should be treated with two separate applications of benzyl alcohol lotion, given seven days apart. It is very important to use two applications, as this medication does not kill the eggs (a second treatment is necessary to get rid of the lice that hatched from the remaining eggs).
The standard recommended dosage amount is as follows:
- Very short hair (up to 2 inches long) -- up to ¾ of a bottle
- Short hair (2 to 4 inches long) -- up to 1 bottle
- Medium hair (4 to 8 inches long) -- up to 1½ bottles
- Medium hair (8 to 16 inches long) -- up to 3 bottles
- Long hair (16 to 22 inches long) -- up to 4 bottles
- Very long hair (22 inches or longer) -- up to 6 bottles.
It is important to machine-wash clothing and bedding (with hot water and then dried on a high setting), to help prevent the lice from spreading or returning.
General Information on Using Benzyl Alcohol LotionSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with benzyl alcohol lotion include the following:
- Benzyl alcohol lotion is usually applied two times, with seven days in between applications.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you exactly how much benzyl alcohol lotion to apply; people with long hair need to use more than people with short hair.
- Apply the lotion to dry hair. The hair and scalp should be saturated with the product. Be especially careful to treat the back of the neck and behind the ears.
- Leave the lotion on for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. You may shampoo the hair immediately after treatment.
- Avoid contact with the eyes and face. This is best done by covering the face with a towel throughout the entire process.
- You may use a lice comb to remove the dead lice.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Benzyl alcohol lotion will not work if you do not use enough or if you do not use two treatments.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or benzyl alcohol lotion dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.