It typically takes three to six months to manufacture azficel-T, since this type of therapy must be grown in a laboratory using your own cells. Treatment consists of three doses, spaced three to six weeks apart. Each dose of azficel-T is injected into the smile lines. If you are worried about pain, a numbing cream can be applied before each injection.
There is only one standard dosing regimen for azficel-T (LaViv™), although there may be situations in which it is necessary or advisable to use a nonstandard regimen.
The recommended azficel-T dosage for smile lines is three treatment sessions, each three to six weeks apart. During each session, 0.1 mL per centimeter will be injected, up to a maximum of 2 mL per session. Keep in mind that you will not see the full effects of the treatments immediately.
Since azficel-T is made using your own cells, your healthcare provider will take three small skin samples from behind your ear. These samples will be sent to a laboratory. It then takes about three to six months for the lab to take your cells and make your own special azficel-T injections.
In some cases, the laboratory cannot make enough cells to provide you with an adequate treatment. In this case, another set of biopsies might need to be done.
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with azficel-T include the following:
- Azficel-T will be injected into your smile lines with a small needle. If necessary, you may have a numbing cream applied beforehand, if you are worried about the possible pain. Afterward, you may apply a cold compress for two to three minutes at a time, if necessary.
- Do not wash the site for at least 24 hours after the injections.
- Do not scrub, rub, or disturb the area for at least 72 hours after the injections.
- Do not apply any products, such as skin creams, cosmetics, or sunscreen, to the area for at least 72 hours afterward.
- Make sure to get your injections as scheduled. If you wait too long, the product will expire and must be thrown away.