As long as Aquaphor is applied to the skin, an overdose is not likely to occur. However, serious problems could occur if too much of the ointment is taken by mouth, especially if it is inhaled into the lungs. If an Aquaphor overdose occurs, a healthcare provider will usually treat the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Aquaphor?
Aquaphor® Healing Ointment is a nonprescription skin product. It is not entirely clear what to expect when too much is taken, although dangerous effects are probably more likely if Aquaphor is taken by mouth rather than applied to the skin.
If you suspect that you or someone else may have overdosed on Aquaphor, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an Aquaphor Overdose
Little is known about what may occur as the result of an overdose with Aquaphor. As previously stated, serious symptoms are more likely to occur if Aquaphor is taken by mouth, particularly if some of the ointment is aspirated (inhaled into the lungs). Accidental inhalation of ointments can cause a form of pneumonia that can cause permanent damage to the lungs.
This product should be stored safely out of the reach of children. This is particularly important because Aquaphor products do not come in child-resistant packaging.
Treatment for an Overdose of Aquaphor
Treatment will usually involve supportive care, which consists of relieving the symptoms that may arise as a result of the overdose. There is no specific antidote for an Aquaphor overdose. In general, vomiting should not be induced and "pumping the stomach" is not recommended.