An Introduction to Dosing With Altabax
There is only one standard dosage for Altabax®
), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Altabax Dosage for Impetigo
The standard dose of Altabax for impetigo treatment
is a thin layer, applied to the affected area twice daily for five days. Avoid applying the medication to unaffected skin, as it should only be applied to a small area -- no more than 100 cm2
(equivalent to approximately a four-inch by four-inch square) in adults and no more than 2 percent of the total body surface area in children.
If you do not see any improvement within three or four days, contact your healthcare provider. He or she may want to try another medication, or may even need to reconsider the impetigo
General Information on Taking Altabax
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment Altabax include the following:
- Apply this medication in a thin layer twice a day for five days. Apply it only on the affected areas, as it should not be applied to a large area of the skin.
- Do not swallow the Altabax ointment or apply it to the eyes, in the nose, on the mouth or lips, or other mucous membranes.
- You may cover the treated area with a bandage or gauze, if desired. This may be especially helpful for young children to prevent them from licking the ointment or getting it in their eyes.
- For Altabax to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Take it for the full length of time your healthcare provider recommends, even if you see improvement sooner.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Altabax dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.